Friday, February 18, 2011

"the night the 60s began"

I don't know if any of you caught the news 
but in a London auction on Wednesday 
Andy Warhol's self portrait sold for 10.8 million pounds 
(or about 17 million U.S. dollars).


It was a recently discovered piece from 1967... I don't know how you could rediscover something like this especially since it was 6 foot square. But it was rediscovered and it was sold. and I wish that I was the owner. "The painting is one of 11 large-scale self-portraits executed at a time when Warhol had established himself as the most important figure in the Pop Art movement." - the daily telegraph

I don't think many people know this besides my family but in my early high school career I was obsessed with Andy Warhol (not necessarily his work but as a person, he was fascinating to me). I would go to the library and find books and documentaries and come home to watch them over and over again. 

It had a lot to do with how contradictory he himself was. A quiet, timid man with "no personality" who produced and produced and created really loud, stand out, revolutionary, controversial things. Historical in the sense that art was no longer art, or that art could be repeated or done yourself. so many mixed messages and so many people buying them and buying into them. 

I loved learning about his background and the way his mom took care of him for most of her life. His collection of wigs and his drive for mass production. He reminds me of many characters in history who make up who they are to the public and say so many contradictory things that no one knows what is right or left when really it is simple and you just need to look past the words and the visual. It just exclaims, "why care!" and if you care then you're foolish but if you don't you are missing out on the revolution.


(*the music in this section is kind of eerie but a decent documentation.)


What a genius of a man that still today he is an icon and a mystery being unfolded piece by piece (or so exposed that we are looking too deep to find a bigger picture... 
only Andy would know.)





News from my life:
My dad is in the hospital tonight. He went in this morning because of his heart and though he is really fit in every way they are worried that there may be a blood clot. genetics and such. If you have space in your prayers tonight that would mean the world to me.

On a lighter note, I cleaned my room:

before
 and after

I wish everyone a peaceful evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment