Saturday, February 12, 2011

one to another

I was at the grocery store this evening
because occasionally I do that...

I came home and found my bags perfectly arranged with cans in one, ramen in another, and finally veggies in the third. Wow! I was blown away by Ms. Ididn'tcatchyour name working at the end of the cashier station. What talent and thoughtfulness you have, I need to thank people more often.

This act of kindness brought me back to a roommate I had sophmore year of college when I was living in a quaint house with 12 other girls. yes 12. There were always dishes in the sink and there were always blank looks as to who they belonged to. I had one roommate who I admired so much. Every time she came home from school, there she was, without even a mutter or a look of disdain, she would be doing the household dishes. I was so impressed because she didn't do it for the credit or recognition as most people would have wanted, if you can believe it she was selfless and the aura around her said so.

This is something I've been thinking about a lot these past few years. How to be more selfless, more giving. To make someone else's day without asking for the credit or even a thanks or smile, doing your best just because. The world would be a better place if we all pitched in to make one another happy instead of ourselves. To think of our neighbor and how they are feeling before we consider our own feelings. Such a beautiful idea, something I hope to always be attempting.

No comments:

Post a Comment