Monday, February 7, 2011

Frida Kahlo

I drank three cups of coco today (throughout the day), scanned the art embedded in the wall with my fingertips, made quinoa with a variety of yummy vegetables, and topped it off with a NEW library card. 
Seriously an awesome day.

*A venture to the library on a cold rainy day. simply the best. 
Next time I'm taking my thermos and settling down with a good read.

Last night I finally watched the movie 'Frida'.
I have always been an admirer of Frida Kahlo. If you still have myspace...you may happen upon my page I started Freshman year of college, I may still have a picture of her as my interest... that is, if myspace still exsists. 
She was a magnificent strong woman whom really lived life, I've always wanted to be like her.



These works are my particular favorites. There is so much depth to her and her paintings. To me she creates worlds within worlds; the colors, the way the painting speaks to you, giving you so much insight with so little. ugghhh. so incredible. 

 The Two Fridas, 1939

"I paint myself because I am so often alone and because I am the subject I know best"

 Self Portrait in a Velvet Dress, 1926


The inscription reads: "In the city of New York on the twenty-first day of the month of October, 1938, at six o'clock in the morning, Mrs. Dorothy Hale committed suicide by throwing herself out of a very high window of the Hampshire House building. In her memory this retablo, executed by Frida Kahlo." *The words "Commissioned by Mrs. Clare Booth Luce" were painted out of the legend by Noguchi at Luce's request after Kahlo delivered the commission*

 The Suicide of Dorothy Hale, 1939

La Adelita, Pancho Villa and Frida, 1927

Portrait of Miguel N. Lira, 1927

What the Water Gave Me, 1938

 The Wounded Deer, 1946

I love the Mexican style in her art, it brings me a little closer to home. 
I think Frida as a person was quite remarkable. When she was about 18 years old she was in an accident where a trolley collided with her bus. She fractured her spine, collarbone, ribs, shattered her pelvis, shoulder, and had eleven fractures in her right leg. She spent over a year recovering in bed and during this time she painted. and painted. and painted. There is so much to her life but I feel like I can relate on a small level to her accident (from my herniated disc) and dealing with pain without anyone being able to understand. During her life she had over 30 operations, none of them completely fixing anything, she was in constant pain her whole life. Maybe that's why these paintings speak so much to me. 




Her life included her intense love for Diego Rivera. Their battles, affairs, divorce and marriages (they married twice). I really love how they had two separate homes with a bridge connecting the two. A dream to me. 
She is one lady I hope to talk with in the afterlife.

2 comments:

  1. i love frida. both the movie and the person, but especially her art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your blog! how did you like mozipedia? i bought it a few months ago and i think it's amazing! anyway, just thought i'd drop you a note and say hi!

    ReplyDelete